About Me

My photo
Hi I’m Jen- I'm one lucky lady to be married to the most wonderful man, Jason. I am a mother to three beautiful children, Grant, Norah, who was born with hydrocephalus, and Mason. I love spending my time with my family. I also like to challenge myself with new things. I'm on a constant quest to become more organized, it may never happen but it's a dream. I currently work part-time as a RN in an emergency department. I love this journey of life that I am on with God by my side, knowing that all things are possible when you Believe.

Tuesday, June 1, 2010

The Blanket


A year ago, as I was fearful about the future for my precious baby girl, I decided she was going to have something special from her mommy.

At that time I was 30 weeks pregnant, not knowing if I would only ever know my daughter through her constant movements in my tummy, or get to spend a lifetime with her. After that first ultrasound where Norah's ventricles were known to be enlarged I had a inner peace that everything was going to be okay. God was with us, he already knew our baby girl and he was going to protect her. I knew. BUT, there is always DOUBT, the thing that the would slowly slips in after going to yet another doctors appointment and being told 50% chance you will take your baby home from the hospital and if you do 50% that she will need total cares provided to her. Most likely she'll have learning dissabilities and we just aren't sure what quality of life she will have. Well, I also needed to have something to help keep me preoccupied while I sat comtemplating my daughter's future, which lead to praying, and often pleading with God to take this away from my daughter.

While at a good old Walmart on Memorial Day weekend, I saw yarn and I thought I am going to make my daughter a blanket. I thought even if I have to bury her, it will be with this blanket that I made with LOVE. From that moment, I was determined to teach myself to crochet.

Over the next seven weeks I worked to complete this blanket for my baby girl. I taught myself one stich, that I repeated row after row, until it was big enough to wrap up my baby Norah. It was something that didn't require much thinking and it kept me going, when all I wanted to do is sit and cry. I could work on it while waiting at doctor's appointments, while riding in the car and at night while I would talk to Norah and plead with God to heal my baby, please just give her a mircle.

Norah's blanket now goes with us everytime we go to the hospital. And I have have moved on from one stich and am becoming pretty good at crocheting all sorts of fun things.

No comments: