About Me

My photo
Hi I’m Jen- I'm one lucky lady to be married to the most wonderful man, Jason. I am a mother to three beautiful children, Grant, Norah, who was born with hydrocephalus, and Mason. I love spending my time with my family. I also like to challenge myself with new things. I'm on a constant quest to become more organized, it may never happen but it's a dream. I currently work part-time as a RN in an emergency department. I love this journey of life that I am on with God by my side, knowing that all things are possible when you Believe.

Monday, July 11, 2011

Making New Friends


On Saturday our family had an amazing outing to Chicago, getting to meet to other wonderful families that each have a little girl that also has hydrocephalus. We first "met" these families through the internet. When I first learned of Norah's diagnosis of hydrocephalus I found the Fetal Hydrocephalus website that has a list of blogs kept by families that have children living with hydrocephalus. I read everyone of the blogs and stories listed looking for hope, and I found it. One of those blogs was The Beautiful Cayman Cindy, whose mother Kristen has an amazing talent for writing, photography and giving hope to someone like me.


All three moms holding their girls for snack time
 I continue to belong to a couple of websites with message boards for families and people with hydrocephalus as well as check in the the fetal hydrocephalus website. Shortly after Norah had turned one I "met" Claire's parents who had just learned that their baby was diagnosed with hydrocephalus. It brought back all the raw emotions I felt when we had just learned of Norah's diagnosis. I wanted them to know I had been where they were and give them the same hope I had looked for while I was pregnant. They also began keeping an wonderful blog called Our Journey with Fetal Hydrocephalus.



This weekend we were privileged to get to spend the day with both of these families, and meet them in real life. It was a surreal feeling to be sitting next to the people that you have seen pictures of and written back and forth to but had never really met.




We spent time talking and playing in Millennium Park getting to know each other and share stories. I really enjoyed meeting both of these families and wished the day could have lasted longer. Now I'm looking forward to hopefully getting together again in the future and also meeting some of these other families who I've met through the Internet in person.

5 comments:

Ashe's said...

It sounds like it was a beautiful day!

Diane said...

Isn't it wonderful to meet other families who have walked in the same shoes. I met Kristen and her family last summer and several other families. I still talk about that vacation like it was yesterday and can't wait to do it again. It was so surreal! I hope I get to "meet" you someday also.

I cracked up when I saw that last picture. Hilarious!!

Brad and Amy said...

We loved meeting you, too! It is so nice to be friends "in real life"! Norah is just as beautiful in person as she is in pictures (as is your entire family)! Hopefully we'll see each other again soon!

Kristen said...

I am so happy you wrote on facebook about your interest in getting together with us. It was so wonderful to have your family there. Thanks for coming. Such a joy meeting you ones.

Amy Cox Vincelli said...

What a blessing to be able to connect with others. So glad you can all support and lean on each other.

Oh, and I love Chicago. Lived there for 3 years. :)