About Me

My photo
Hi I’m Jen- I'm one lucky lady to be married to the most wonderful man, Jason. I am a mother to three beautiful children, Grant, Norah, who was born with hydrocephalus, and Mason. I love spending my time with my family. I also like to challenge myself with new things. I'm on a constant quest to become more organized, it may never happen but it's a dream. I currently work part-time as a RN in an emergency department. I love this journey of life that I am on with God by my side, knowing that all things are possible when you Believe.

Friday, October 15, 2010

Bread Pudding for Dinner??

I'm a fan of bread pudding, but it has always been for dessert, never the main course. After I stumble upon this recipe, I couldn't wait to try it. I was still unsure of how it would taste, would it ruin my like for bread pudding all together?

Well it was a hit including the kiddos. The original recipe called for chopped chicken, but I had some left over turket breast that I used. I love finding ways of using leftover meats, Jason is not a fan of reheated meat.  I would highly recommend trying this with your leftover turkey from Thanksgiving.




Turkey, Mushroom and Asparagus Bread Pudding
Adapted from The Sweets Life

Ingredients:


-4 cups whole grain bread cubes

-1 onion, chopped

-1 lb asparagus, chopped into 1-inch pieces
-4 cups mushrooms, chopped into quarters

-3 cups of chopped turkey (or chicken)

-1 tbsp vegetable oil

-1/8 tsp pepper

-1 1/2 cups milk

-5 eggs

-1 cup shredded Italian cheese



Directions:

1. Place bread cubes on an ungreased baking sheet and toast at 350F for 10 minutes.

2. Heat oil over medium-high heat in a large skillet. Add chopped onion and cook until soft (approximately 8 minutes). Add the asparagus, lower heat and cover, cooking for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the mushrooms and pepper, cover, and cook for an additional five minutes.

3. Lightly grease a 9 x 13 baking dish. Spread bread cubes in the dish and top with vegetable mixture and chicken.

4. In a blender, mix milk, and eggs. Pour blended mixture over the bread. Top with cheese.

5. Bake at 350F for 40 minutes. Allow to sit for 5 minutes before cutting and serving warm.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What type of Bread Pudding is this? they is no salt or sweetner in the recipe. :(