About Me

My photo
Hi I’m Jen- I'm one lucky lady to be married to the most wonderful man, Jason. I am a mother to three beautiful children, Grant, Norah, who was born with hydrocephalus, and Mason. I love spending my time with my family. I also like to challenge myself with new things. I'm on a constant quest to become more organized, it may never happen but it's a dream. I currently work part-time as a RN in an emergency department. I love this journey of life that I am on with God by my side, knowing that all things are possible when you Believe.

Friday, August 20, 2010


Norah saw her pediatrician, and he diagnosed Norah's bump as a cephalohematoma. This is something that usually occurs at childbirth, but Norah likes to be different so instead of just having a 'normal' bump on her head, she has this. He felt like this would go down over the next couple of months. He was just going to call the neurosurgeon to update them. Promptly after talking to Norah's pediatrician, the neurosurgeon's PA called saying they would like too see Norah in the office the next morning. ??? We felt great after seeing the pediatrician, what did he say to make them want to see Norah right away? On top of that, he said keep her NPO in the morning in case she would need a procedure. ????! When he was questioned on that, he thought maybe it would be OK if she ate since looking at their schedule the earliest they could fit her in for a procedure would be later that night.

I was dizzy with all the possibilities that the next day could bring. Are they just covering their butts because the received all these extra phone calls about Norah, did our pediatrician have other concerns that he didn't share with us, there is also the concern that Norah's shunt maybe over draining, is that playing into this, did they review the xrays again and maybe see something? I was as close to an anxiety attack as I have ever been.

Friends and family were called to set up care for Grant if the 'what if's' became reality. Then there was the issue with work. I was scheduled to work a 12 hour shift. I had stayed home on Saturday to help Jason and keep an eye on Norah, but I am currently the only one getting paid in our family and we need the money to pay the bills. Jason and I decided I would go to work, and he would call me as soon as the neurosurgeon saw Norah.

It was so hard to work in the ER, taking care of other people when I just wanted to be with my family, taking care of my Norah. I was anxious, and the fact that the neurosurgeon was 2 hours late to see Norah only added to my stress.

RELIEF!! "Jen, you have a call on 8943." Yes, it's FINALLY Jason.

All is well. The neurosurgeon agrees that Norah has a cephalohematoma. In fact he thinks her head may even be beginning to follow a growth curve. He thought she looked great, and to cancel our September appointment and see him in January. Really?? I had prepared myself for the worst outcome and I'm trilled that we received the best one. Thanks for all your prayers.

No comments: